Zafra is situated in a wide valley, between Castellar and San Crístobal sierra, with a mild weather.
It was a roman settiement, named 'Restituta Julia' and later wouid be a place dominated by Arabs in the early XI th century.
Alfonso IX conquered the town in 1.229. The second and ultimate reconquering took place in 1.241 by Fernando III el Santo.
It belonged to the first manor, afterwards earldame and last dukedom of Feria.
In 1.395 Zafra reaches its most important economic period with outstanding markets.
Leather handcraft with many Tanneries and silversmith's craft werethe most remarkable wealth sources.
The clothes markets were also famous since the Arabian domination which took place in the "Plaza Chica' with the merchants arrival from La Rioja, Castilla and Andalucia.
Nowadays it is an industrial and business town.
Zafra can be pointed out by its Internacional Cattieraising Market, which is holded in the first of October.
It is situated in an area with 220.000 m2 , and has spiendid cattieraising and industrial facilities, a main stand with a hall to 400 people and with the most modern audiovisual media and simultaneous translation.
At the present time Zafra has an outstanding infrastructure: Hotels, restaurants and travel agencies.
Many places are perfectly mixed: old and modern like the 'Plaza Grande' , oid, noble center, is surrounded by a colonnade area, over which there are houses with coats of arms and artistic lattices.
The entrance to the 'Plaza Chica' where the "Vara de medir' is sculpted on one of its columns, is located at the 'Arquillo del Pan' .
Everything is completed with Arabic houses, artistic wroughts in windows and balcones, and also the Court House in the neociassic styie, where ancient 'Casas Consistoriales' were.
Old ways are joined there:
-Jerez street with its ancient door, in the old wall.
-'Callejita del clavel", next to Jerez street, is a typical alley, and old passage of arms' vestige.
-Boticas street which have a mauresque building, with a beautiful mullioned window.
'Parroquia de Ntra. Señora de la Candelaria', parish church which was built 1.546 and had for two centurias colegiata church title with prelate abbot.
It can be emphasized its building in the ancient gothic style, although the inside part was built in the baroc style, with the altarpiece from the XVIlth century built as weil in the same style and sculptures confered to Juan de Arce.
'Virgen de Balbanera' altarpiece, built in the churrigueresque-gothic style and baptismal stoup, dated 1309.
One of de most important treasures, is an altarpiecewith nine paints of Francisco de Zurbarán.
It museum keep valuable things and holy ornaments with a processional mostrance from the XVIlIth century, as weil as a plateresque comunion cup.
''Parador', named Hernán Cortés is located in the 'Duques de Feria' palace.
It was built in 1437 in the 'herreriano" style from the XVIlth century and can be pointed out his inside patio in the renaissance style, as weil as a chapel with a gotish mudejar dome and numerous heraldries coffered ceilings with Suárez de Figueroa coat of arms.
Gómez Suárez de Figueroa founded in 1428 'Santa Clara' convent . This is a reiigious building. It was the first 'Feria Mannor' and was stated as a 'National monument'.
Sleeping statue can be admired inside the church, as well as their founders, holies glasses and worship things.